Tuesday, March 29, 2022

When I Grow Up...

 The age old question that everyone asks- the annual question at every family function: "So Alex, what do you want to be when you grow up?" If I had a dollar for every time I got asked this, I would be able to pay my tuition or drop out of school completely to live a life of lavish with no work. Though, to answer that question, I don't know.

I have quarter-life crises about this far too often. We spend all of our childhood and young adult life preparing ourselves for a career. We work hard to get perfect grades, learn social skills, and watch what we post to social media just so we can be reputable adults in the work force. All my life, it feels like I have been working towards an uncertain goal; I spend so much time studying and working towards good grades and a degree, but will I actually use my degree? What if my career path has nothing to do with communication or art? What if I decide to live off-the grid and forage through forests for the rest of my life? 

Even though all of these thoughts constantly loom in my mind, I am getting better at putting myself at ease. I know that whatever I decide to do, even if it is foraging through forests, I will be successful because I learned how to work hard and I have a good online reputation. Since my generation has grown up with social media, there is no doubt that it will continue to evolve and play even more of a part in our lives once we reach adulthood. There are already so many jobs that revolve around social media, and there are even social networking sites that help you find a job. Just like me, social media is still growing, and I think it will eventually have an impact in all lines of work, even if they aren't directly dedicated to social media.

Me running away from my responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Blog or Not to Blog?

Blogging over the past few months this semester, has been almost theraputic for me. I have always been the type of person who loves to write...